Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ballerinas

Mini ballerina Jana on the left with big sis Erika on the right.

Malan on stage on the right.

Malan & Amelia basking in post-performance glory!


Last week I attended my first real ballet class in about 18 years!  I was in heaven as I tried to make my body do all the things it used to, and found that I still could do a lot.  My girls started ballet last fall and I have loved every minute of being in the ballet studio with them.  I've loved making them look like ballerinas with perfect little buns and clean pink tights and red leotards.  They have always been dancers, but seeing them develop technique and learn the words to go with their movements thrills me.  I never thought I would try to live vicariously through my children's activities, and I didn't really do it on purpose, but I can't help but get excited for myself and not just for them, when they stand gracefully at the bar and plié with head held high.  I wish I could afford to take regular classes like they do, and I secretly wish I could be in a recital too.  I know these things are not possible at this moment in my life, but I can unashamedly feel great satisfaction seeing my girls do it.  The trick is to not take it too personally when they decide they don't want to go to ballet class some days, and brace myself for the possible eventuality that they choose soccer over ballet.

2 comments:

vdg family said...

Favorite line: "I never thought I would try to live vicariously through my children's activities, and I didn't really do it on purpose, but I can't help but get excited for myself and not just for them. . ." Amen. Exactly how I feel. :) Good writing!

Jessica Marie said...

So pretty!