Sunday, February 6, 2011
love dad dont break up love mom from amelia love
I need to post today no matter what! I have a few partial entries started and I thought I would finish one of them, but when I sat down to write I had a brain cramp. I took a little break then sat down again and Amelia came and sat on my lap. I asked her what I should write about and she said "love." I asked "what about love?" and she said, "love your husband and don't ever break up!" I asked if she worried about Rustin me breaking up and she said, "no." I let her write the title of this post! She even did most of the spelling herself. I sure hope that none of my kids worry about us breaking up. We don't really give them any reason to worry. We don't fight or argue (honestly, we never have!), we go on regular dates, and we are not shy about "innocent" PDA in front of them. We are a perfect match and I am even more in love with Rustin now than I was when we were married 15 1/2 years ago. All of that said, I think my parents could have said the same thing about each other when I was young, and yet I think my greatest fear was that they would split up or that I would lose one or both of them somehow. I don't know where that fear came from, but I hope I can keep my kids from feeling it.
I guess I'm feeling a little sensitive about the subject of losing a husband right now because of a couple of events that have taken place this week. One of my good friends had a scare with her marriage and thought her husband was leaving her. That freaked me out... mostly for her, but it made me think about my marriage and reminded me that I can never work too hard to keep it strong and happy. The other event that has my mind considering the loss of a spouse is the unexpected death of the father of one of my best childhood friends. He is my dad's age and died suddenly of a heart attack this week. He was also one of my bosses for a few years when I worked at his dental office. He was a good man and has a great wife with whom he spent most of his time working and traveling. For years I didn't particularly envy their relationship as he was a little grouchy and particular and she was sweet and patient, but I came to realize that he did love her and and she him and that was made clear in the number of hours they spent together everyday in the office, at home, and on the many vacations they took together. You just can't spend that much time together and not love each other! Thank you Garn and Catherine for your example... Garn you will be missed, and Catherine, Mary and all the other Ford clan, you are in my prayers!
To my kids. I guess I can't promise you that dad and I won't be separated by death at some point, but that separation is not permanent, and I can promise you that staying with your dad FOREVER is my number one goal!!!
3 comments:
You guys look so cute on your wedding day! I can tell you have a strong marriage, that must be a comfort to your kids. It is scary to think if losing your husband, makes me want to appreciate mine!
Thanks! The photo is actually not our wedding day. We were at Rustin's brother's wedding just before our 12 year anniversary! We look MUCH younger in our wedding photos. Amazing how time flies! We are now going on 16 years, and just as happy as ever!
Beautiful photo! I love this post! It touched my heart.
Post a Comment